Arc’teryx Gamma MX
The Arc'teryx Company has a loyal fan base for a reason, the products are reliable and do exactly what it is designed to do. They have a Gamma line that is so versatile that you may own more than one type. The Gamma MX is a heavier jacket that has a fleece lined backing. It is ideal for ski touring or winter hiking. The entire Gamma line is designed to be durable, weather resistant and comfortable.
The Gamma MX is considered a top performer in weather protection however is not designed for heavy, intense activity due to the level of breathability of the fleece liner. The Gamma MX is crafted for those that live in colder climates and can use the extra wind coverage. It is versatile to use daily. With a variety of color options, there is sure to be one that works for your style preference.
Tighter for larger sized that would normally where XXL
Users with long torso need to order a size up
- This is such a great and well made jacket; windproof and breathable, yep you read that right! It fits so well and feels great. Their whole line is pretty incredible.
- After a year, the water repellent wore off. The fabric is durable and cuffs are low profile. The fabric is very stretchy and pulls well. The pockets are placed perfect. It is a great jacket but after a year you will have to upgrade it if you use it a lot like I do. I won’t buy it again though.
- This is the best on the market no doubt. I have pulled this thing through all the ringers and it is killer. Only thing it can't do is a heavy rain. I highly recommend this baby!
- Everything about this product is fantastic! It has a great fit and the material is other-worldly. So much offered in this light jacket.
- This has to be the best breathing soft shell I have ever worn. This thing is totally way better at weather resistance than I could have imagined great technology built into this.
- This thing is great for average use. The material breathes well and makes it a little less effective for those really windy days. It isn't waterproof but repels well. It isn't for layering either.
- This company is unbeatable with material and design. The thing fits better than I thought and is really light. It also protects you really well from the elements.
- This thing breathes well and has a great wind resistance to it. The durability is like no other. It is a soft shell, which isn't my norm, but this is just great. It keeps real mobile and stretches with you well. Definitely good for mixed elements.
- I have took this all over and done all sorts of extreme sports in it and wow. After a couple years,it is still great. This was meant or climbers as it is made with climbing movement in mind. It breathes so well but is still so wind resistant. Great technology.
- This is a perfect part of gear for my extreme weather layering. The vented pockets and the material are so good. When it is closed up it will keep you so warm and it is so light. I have had this thing for 4 years now and I am so happy with it, no signs of wear and tear, which means it has epic durability.
- This thing is great for everything. I wear it all the time. The sleeves are a little too long for me but I do not are it fits and feels great.
- This is made as an athletic fit jacket so it runs a bit shorter. However, it is the best jacket I have ever owned. It breathes, keeps me warm and ha great mobility. I am a big dude and it works really well. It is expensive but it is worth every penny.
- I wear this skiing and climbing every year and man is it great. I am able to move all over the place without feeling any constriction and it works so well in cold weather. I never have to bundle up ridiculously. Doesn't cause blind spots in a helmet either.
- Nothing compares to this jacket. It is so mobile and has never given me and constriction when I am ice climbing. Everything about this is so good. The little layer of fleece keeps you warm and the the pockets air ya out i it gets warm, just open up and AHHHH. I am able to mid layer it as well when it gets real cold.
- It is very water repellent. It has to be the best fitting jacket I have ever bought and it has a lot of mobility to it. I love that is has so many pockets and they are vented. I got it for hiking but am wearing it all the time now.
- The new fabric of this is so good. It seems to be way more durable and I own a couple styles of old Arc’teryx jackets. I am really happy with all the pockets and they fabric feels so nice on. The back is longer than the front and helps with those drifts.
- This thing fits like it was made for my 200 lb fame. It breathes great and sheds water really well. It is super rigid and durable, lasts a year now with not one issue. The best soft shell on the market I can guarantee.
- This is a very versatile jacket and when you add layers it is unbelievably warm and breathable. It is the best active jacket I have ever bought. It is pricey but worth it if you like to do outdoorsy stuff in weather.
- For some reason they made the hand holes way too small. It is awkward and hard to put on. It is also a pain to put on with a long sleeve, it keep pulling them back.
- Way too much money for this. I would expect ay more for the price. It is an overrated wind jacket that does not really do that. It is so breathy. Not even water proof and it is hard to put on if you have a watch or bracelet on.
The underarms have a no-lift gusset. This allows for free movement of the arms and shoulders without the extra bunching you get with excess material to accommodate a full extension of the arms. This trim cut allows for when your arms are in the standard position or hanging you don’t have the bulk. At the same time when the arm is fully extended up or out, it doesn’t pull the entire jacket up exposing your back or stomach.
The zippers are a durable plastic material with self-locking. This means where you pull and leave the zipper at is where it will stay with no slipping. This helps when regulating your body temperature. They are corded zipper pulls to reduce noise and are easy to grab. The front zip has a wind flap closure for protection.
The Arc'teryx Company stands by its products. It has a lifetime warranty for the Gamma MX. That tells you the quality and obsessive attention to detail of their products is a commitment that Arc'teryx is built on. They have to offer the lifetime warranty as some users even state they have their products for 15 years plus years and still use them.
Just a few other active uses that users stated the Gamma MX was perfectly designed for include: skiing backcountry, ice climbing, alpine climbing, hiking and trekking. Don’t let this list make you think that is all you can use it for. Use it even when taking the dog for a walk on those cooler, windy days. There is no limit to the daily uses from wearing to work, grabbing some coffee or running errands on the nasty weather days. The Arc'teryx Company once again delivered a hoody that is so versatile and does exactly what it says it will do. There is no limit to its uses.
The durable material allows it to be used as a stand-alone piece or when used as a layering piece. If placing over a mid layer, it still has enough room that you don’t feel bunched up or restricted. This also is easily worn with a climbing harness with the ability to maintain full coverage and full flexibility. The combination of material used is chosen for its versatility of protection from the elements at the same time giving free movement and flexibility to use with activities
As mentioned in the weather resistant section of the review, a protective spray should be applied throughout the year based on your use. You don’t have to do this as the materials are naturally repellent when treated with the DWS however allows for additional protection of the weather resistance.
The collar has a soft fleece backing and a gasket backing the zipper for added comfort. The full-sized hood secures around your face using a three-way cinch system. This secures the hood in place on even the windy day, giving you more protection. The three-way closure is easy to do even with gloves on. The hood will fit comfortably under a ski or climbing helmet. Even with the hood not being used, it rests nicely to the back remaining compact.
It is designed to keep you protected from the outdoor elements in everyday use to those on an ice hike. Note that with the Gamma MX the outer shell will have water penetrate it if you are exposed to a heavy downfall or in the rain for an extended period of time. If those conditions are expected, a rain jacket or water shell is recommended.
A recommendation is to use a protective spray be reapplied after proper care to keep the hoody in prime condition and maintain the moisture resistance. This also helps with stain resistance and to keep the colors vibrant through the years. Literally, the Gamma MX will be a staple in your wardrobe for years so taking care if it will be important.
The wrist cuffs have a fitted gasket which is somewhat stretchy. It helps to seal the arm from wind sneaking up the wrist area. It is slightly flexible so it doesn’t pinch the wrist with movement. If gloves are needed it is recommended to use ones that would go over the wrist cuff for added protection.
-StormHood with three-way cinch closure
-Fleece lined collar
-Zipper closure pockets
-DWR finish to repel moisture
-Lightweight at just over 1 pound
The weather resistant outer shell with the fleece lining that keeps you warm also has moisture wicking properties gives you protection. You can look good while staying protected from the elements. In harsh conditions of the mountain adventures, this hoody can handle it. The versatility of the hoody makes this one you will grab on the go to use when weather conditions can change. It is a durable, reliable piece of your wardrobe you will have for years. It has a lifetime warranty so you can’t go wrong with this one.