Cold weather can often lead to poor circulation, illness and potentially dermatological issues. It is important, especially in areas that get fairly cold, to bundle up even if traveling by car. City dwellers sometimes forget that even if parking in heated parkade just to drive to another heated parkade in cold weather, that dressing appropriately is still necessary. Breaking down in cold weather without a proper winter jacket or boots can lead to very serious health complications and general frustrations. There are numerous options on the market to choose from when considering a winter jacket. Some are fleece lined while others are not lined at all. The fabric used to insulate the jacket is also important to consider because this will indicate whether the jacket has any wind or water protection. This area also helps determine the jackets breathability too. Breathability particularly comes in handy when wearing jackets meant for sports or physical activity (like hiking or cross country skiing). When moving around the body gets hot and requires some sort of ventilation that will both cool them down to avoid sweat accumulation. It's also important to consider the jackets durability especially when in more physical situations. You want to ensure that a little wear and tear won't break the jacket down and that the weatherproofing features are also strong enough to handle the elements.
This article is a review on one jacket in particular and that jacket is the Columbia Ascender. This jacket is a weatherproof one with a front zipper. It is meant for physical activity but is still stylish enough to wear out and about running errands. We looked at what those who bought this jacket said about it, both positively and negatively. We also looked at what reviewers thought of its durability, breathability, weatherproofing and general reliability. This is our review of the Columbia Ascender. We hope that this article helps you with any jacket purchase you have in the future. Please, enjoy!
- Those who wore this jacket found it true to size
- They also appreciated the weatherproofing of this jacket
- They found the jacket quite stylish in design
- This jacket is also regularly regarded a being quite durable
- This jacket fits a little tight in the shoulders
- Some reviewers said the colors were not true to the image they saw when ordering online
- This has more room than the Bionic. It has a good range of movement as well. These work for light rain and as a mild wind breaker. I would say it is better for the money than North Face.
- I'm a big guy with a bell and the XL fits great. The sleeves are not to long or short, fall just past the wrist. The lining is great and really warm. It does get some static sometimes.
- This is the perfect spring/fall jacket. Has a good amount of rain and wind resistance. It fits nice in the chest and waist. Not too tight. The sleeve length is great too. I would recommend it.
- This fts way better and cleaner than the North Face Bionic. The fleece lining is so warm and soft. It has a decent water resistance to it. It is for cool weather not freezing weather.
- The material of this jacket is nice. It fits great and not too rigid feeling. It is good for temps above 40 I think.
- Fit is great I like that the water just rolls off. The velcro and zippers sem good enough. The callar doesn't seem to want to lay properly though , which is annoying at times. But the jacket is warm and it does what I need it to do, so that is a win for me. Just a good casual cool weather jacket.
- The fabric feels really nice. The pockets are a good depth and feel good too. I like the whole jacket. Perfect for the chilly morning ride to school with the kids.
- This is the perfect fit for me. I like that it doesn't have that tail in the back like most. It is a really great softshell jacket and works great in the fall. Campfire jacket for sure.
- I use this at owk on the airstrip and it does a great job. The waist has a drawstring so I can keep the cold out and the wrists velcro tighter as well. The material is really nice and does a good job of repelling water and wind. The color is really nice and it looks great on. I highly recommend it.
- This jacket is light but it is warm. They jacket does a decent job of stopping the wind and they has good water repellent. I would say it is better than any North Face jacket I have bought. It pretty much allowed me to get rid of my other jackets.
- The thin fleece lining really makes this a lot warmer. Great for a cool day or a nice walk on the beach in the fall. Does great with the wind and rain. I wear it almost everyday, I love it. Great price and nice fit.
- The jacket comes in almost half sizes on the bigger end. It is great for cold weather and light snow. When it is zipped it is super cozy. I am just really enjoying this jacket.
- This is the perfect fall jacket for this Chicago weather. I am sure though, with some good layering, it would hold out into the depths of winter if needed. It is lightweight but super warm. It fits great and has good length throughout so your not getting cold wrists. It is a really comfortable and stylish jacket. Goes with everything. I highly recommend it.
- Columbia is always my go to and this jacket doesn't change that. It is so warm and comfortable. It looks great. The material is truly water resistant and the wind breakage is great. It is a great quality jacket and I would recommend it for mild winter weather all year round.
- I loved my NF jacket but needed an upgrade and this was on sale so I pulled the trigger. This jacket is impressive. I am not sure why I didn't get it earlier. The adjustable velcro and cinched waist is great. It helps with the draft. It fits great and works well with the weather going from 20 to 70 throughout the day. I am happy with it an will buy it again.
- I would highly recommend going and trying them on if possible. These jackets always fit differently. This one is so nice. And has the best fit for me. A little snug but high mobility and super warm. I use it for work and for hiking in Colorado. It is no nice and does what it is supposed to. It is a proper fleece with great water resistance.
- This is a quality jacket and affordable. The competition is a bit warmer but also two times the price. It fits good and keeps me warm. Exactly what I was looking for.
- It is so soft and yet really sturdy. It keeps me warm and doesn't restrict. It is perfect for fall temps. I wouldn’t suggest it in a blizzard but a light snow or rain it repels well. I would recommend it for sure.
- I get one of these about every 2 years and they never disappoint. They are the perfect mild weather jacket. They breathe well and still keep you warm. They repel water just enough. This is the perfect work jacket and cool day of hiking.
- I had one of these for 7 years before buying this one and it was time. I love this jacket. It is a great material and functions so well. It is my go too and it really does a great job of locking in heat. IT has a nice fleece liner and the velcro on the wrists is perfect. There are plenty of packets. Do not really need a bag with it. I am smitten and will continue to buy it as long as the quality stays up there.
- I am not happy with it. The jacket doesn't even look like the photo. The color is way off.
- The zipper is sewn in incorrect and it catches when I try to zip it up. The stitching on the Velcro actually goes through the Velcro and catches and tears making the Velcro loose. I won't buy Columbia again.
- The zipper on these is so cheap! I was so disappointing. I never got the jacket to zip up.
- It isn’t durable at all. I mean seriously. The thing had a huge hole in it after a month. I do not do much in it. I bent over and RIP. Poor quality obviously.
- This jacket is too thin and airy. I don't see it helping with much of the cold. When I put it on it fit way too big and sack like.
- After 2 months, the zipper completely came out and broke. I wasn't able to get it back on because of the design of the jacket. I am disappointed to say the least.
- The lining is really cheap and rips. The pockets get holes too soon. I have to say that Columba has showed it uses crappy material with this one. I wouldn't waste your money.
- The sleeves run really narrow and were uncomfortable. It created restriction in movement.
- This thing gets too dirty. It doesn't look good at all. I have tried to clean it all sorts of ways and it seems to make it worse. I won't be buying it again.
-Water and wind resistant for better warmth
-Abrasion resistance for longer wear and better durability
-Adjustable cuff tabs for a closer fit and better wind protection
-Draw cord with adjustable hem
-Zippered hand pockets to keep small items secure
-Attractive, sporty design