Best Emergency Lights Reviewed & Rated for Quality
2017 was quite a year when it came to natural disasters. Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico were devastated by powerful hurricanes. The state of California saw wildfires that wiped out property and infrastructure across the entire state. Even states that weren’t directly hit by these natural disasters still felt the effects of them. Keep in mind that this was only in the United States. The rest of the world also saw nightmarish natural disasters.
A natural disaster can happen at any time and they don’t have to be as dramatic as the ones mentioned above. We may not know when a natural disaster will hit our communities and homes, but we can always prepare ahead of time. Planning ahead is one of the best ways to survive a natural disaster. Since it’s very likely that you may lose power in such an emergency, it is extremely important to have emergency lighting.
- USB Charging Ports
- Gold Armour
- Blackout Buddy
- Night Light and Flashlight
Emergency lights are necessary for our safety. In minor cases, we can use them to light our homes or shelters when it gets dark out. In more severe situations, emergency lights might be the only way to get a rescuer’s attention. Many of these lights feature SOS lighting so that you are visible to rescue workers. They also have other features that you may not have realized. For example, some emergency lights have USB ports that allow you to charge your cell phone. It may be true that cell towers are down in a disaster, but if they are still functional, it’s important that your phone is charged so that you can call for help.
These lights are even useful in non-emergency situations also. Many emergency lights are lantern style and make great lights to own while camping. Today’s lights often feature LED lights that consume very little power and make them long-lasting. In many cases, you can purchase these lights in packs of two or three so that you have enough light when needed.
10 Best Emergency Lights
The lantern doubles as a charging device also. It features a USB charger that allows you to charge devices such as your cell phone. The ports are covered with rubber so that water doesn't leak into the ports while they aren't being used.
It uses both red and white LED lights. The lights resist damage due to shock and are good for 50,0000 hours. The white light is used in regular lighting but when you are ready to sleep, you can turn on the red light for night vision.
Cost and Value
This lantern has an above average price but it's worth spending a few extra dollars on it. It has really handy features such as both red and white lighting, USB charging ports, and it's highly resistant to breakage.
- There are four white LED lights and a red LED light used for night vision.
- It has a locking handle that can be used to carry or hang the lantern.
- There is a low light mode which provide up to 259 hours of extra lighting when needed.
- You can purchase this lantern in 200, 540, 1100 lumen brightness.
- It is also sold in with AA battery, D battery, or rechargeable battery models.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that the 200 lumen model isn't very bright.
- Other reviewers have noted that the battery life doesn't last as long as rated.
2. Gold Armour
This lantern is fully collapsible and can be collapsed with just a push of a button. This makes it an ideal lantern for emergency car or home kits but it is also great for fishing or camping.
You can also expect this lantern to be extremely durable. It is made out of plastic that is military grade and water resistant. The lantern resists shocks from getting dropped or rolling around.
Cost and Value
The lantern is sold in packs of four and has a below average cost. You get an excellent value for your purchase because you get four lanterns that are highly durable and lightweight.
- The lantern is made with LED lights that output 350 lumens.
- It is made with a water resistant plastic that is also military grade.
- There is a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee and a 15 year warranty.
- The lantern runs on twelve AA batteries so it's easy to find batteries for it.
- You can easily collapse this lantern with just the push of a button.
- Reviewers have noted that while the light is bright it doesn't emit very usable light.
- Other reviewers have noted that the battery life isn't as long as what is advertised.
You can choose from three different levels of brightness. The flashlight also has a strobe light feature and an SOS function. It's also zoomable in case you need to focus the light on something specific.
Although the flashlight cannot be submerged in water, it is constructed to be water resistant which allows you to use it in the rain. The water resistance rating is IPX-6 which means you can use this light in heavy rain.
Cost and Value
The flashlight has a below average price. It gets its value from the fact that it is inexpensive yet durable. It also has important features such as water resistance and multiple lighting modes.
- There are five different lights modes which give you control over the lighting.
- You can pick from a concise version or a version with a rechargeable battery.
- The flashlight is zoomable which lets you focus the light to an area.
- There is an SOS mode which can help you get noticed in an emergency.
- The body of the flashlight is constructed from an aircraft grade aluminum.
- The battery coil is held together by glue which is prone to breakages.
- Other people have had issues with the switch not working properly making it impossible to turn the light off.
The lantern has a compact tool that lets you start a fire. Having the ability to start a fire can mean life or death in certain survival situations. The tool is flameless which helps you start fires in high winds.
You will also find that the lantern has a small storage compartment. This is an ideal place to store dry tinder to be used with the fire starter. However, the compartment also works well for first aid items or batteries.
Cost and Value
The lantern has a below average price which makes it an excellent value. There are features that really make this lamp a great value such as the fire starting tool, its storage compartment, and the magnetic base.
- There is a fire starter tool that can be used to help you light a fire in extreme emergencies.
- The lantern has a storage compartment which can be used to hold first aid items.
- The lantern's base is magnetic which allows it to securely attach itself to steel or iron.
- It has a collapsible design which makes it easy to place this lantern in an emergency kit.
- The lantern is powered off of only three AA batteries.
- Some reviewers have had issues with the lantern not being very durable.
- Other reviewers have said the the LED lights are very harsh and are hard on your eyes.
This flashlight features a zoomable lens. You can zoom the lens all of the way out to use this flashlight as a floodlight or you can focus the light beam onto specific items so that they can be seen in detail.
The body of the flashlight is cut in a way that keeps the flashlight from rolling around when it's set down. This can be really useful to keep the light in one specific place when you are working.
Cost and Value
You can expect to find this light at a slightly below average price. Its value comes from features that are really useful in an emergency. For example, the flashlight is small enough to keep in your car's glovebox.
- This flashlight has five lighting modes which are low, medium, high, SOS, and strobe.
- It is highly compact which makes it lightweight and easy to pack into emergency kits.
- The flashlight resists shock, weather, and water which makes it ideal for use in emergencies.
- The lense is zoomable which lets you use this light as a flood light or focus it.
- The body of the light is designed to keep the flashlight from rolling around.
- Some reviewers have noted that the flashlight's inside corroded rapidly.
- The bright end of the flashlight heats up and can become hot to the touch.
6. AYL StarLight
This lantern can stay lit for six days on a fresh set of D cell batteries. That means you will continue to have light in situations where you may have to wait a while for rescue.
Three Lighting Modes
The lamp has three different lighting modes. There is a low and high setting as well as a flashing light setting. The high setting can be used when you need bright light but you can conserve energy by using the low setting.
Cost and Value
This lantern has an average price and is a great buy for an emergency home kit. It is able to stay lit for up to six days which can be really useful in extreme disasters where you have to wait for rescue.
- The lantern can stay lit for up to six days on fresh batteries.
- It outputs 600 lumens which allows it to light up a room.
- There are three lighting modes including flashing which can be handy for rescue.
- It is lightweight and resists both water and shocks from dropping.
- The lantern has a hook on the bottom which allows you to setup where its needed.
- The lantern does not have an on or off switch.
- The outputted light isn't very uniform meaning some areas are brighter than others.
7. Blackout Buddy
The device has a night light mode which you can use under normal circumstances. It is small and designed to plug into your wall outlets. The devices will charge while it's plugged. When the power goes out, you can switch it into flashlight mode.
Lights up Automatically
When the device is not being used as a night light, it will stay off until the power goes out. When the power goes out, the device lights up automatically so that you don't need to look around for a light in the dark.
Cost and Value
This is a lowcost item that has a below average price. It gets its value from being inexpensive and dual function as a nightlight and a flashlight. They are inexpensive enough to place throughout your home.
- The light will turn on automatically when the power goes out.
- The unit functions as both a night light and a flashlight.
- The battery charge will last for up to four hours when needed.
- It has a very compact and slim design that makes it easy to hold when used.
- They are inexpensive enough that you can place these items around the home.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that the night light flickers in semi-darkness.
- Other people have mentioned that the night light is a little too bright.
8. Supernova 300
This lantern has a small LED indicator light that blinks on a slow pulse. This allows you to easily locate the lantern in the dark during a power blackout. It is an ideal feature during emergencies.
The top of the lantern is removable which allows for focused lighting. This essentially allows the lantern to function as if it were a flashlight. You can also use the top to hang the light up when needed.
Cost and Value
This lantern has a slightly above average price but it is also worth the money. You can purchase it in three different models based on the number of lumens you want. It lasts for up to six days making it ideal for emergencies.
- There is a small blinking light on the lantern that helps you located it in the dark.
- The lantern can emit light for up to six days.
- You can hang this lantern from the top or remove the top for focused light.
- It is available to purchase in 300, 350, and 500 lumens models.
- The bottom is made out of sturdy rubber so that the lantern sits securely.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that the lantern drains the batteries while not in use.
- Other reviewers have mentioned that the battery compartment is really hard to close.
You can use this flashlight as both a floodlight and as a spotlight. The spotlight has a very long range of 600 feet which can be ideal to get the attention of rescuers.
This flashlight has a compact design. Its max length is 6.1 inches, which means you can easily pack this flashlight into your car's glove box or place it in a home emergency kit.
Cost and Value
The product has a below average price. It has some features that make it well worth its value. For example, the spotlight has a range of 600 feet and the body is water resistant.
- It has adjustable focus which means it works as a spotlight or as a floodlight.
- The body is water resistant allowing you to use this light in the rain.
- The body has a skid proof design which makes it easy to grip.
- There are five different lighting modes which include low, medium, high, strobe, and SOS.
- You can purchase this light in either a AAA battery or rechargeable battery models.
- Some people have mentioned that the battery springs are fragile and break easily.
- Other reviewers have mentioned that the button that turns the light on breaks easily.
You can charge this lightbulb with a regular charger or with the included solar panel. The solar panel charging is really useful during a power outage since it only needs sunshine to operate.
Charges Other Devices
The light bulb also charges other devices using power-out USB ports. This is really useful because you can keep your mobile phones powered up in an emergency and call for help when cell towers are operational again.
Cost and Value
The LightMe has an average price. The fact that it can be charged with a solar panel makes it an excellent item to have in a home or car emergency kit.
- The device can be charged with both traditional outlets or the included solar panel.
- It has USB charging ports which let you charge your mobile devices.
- The light bulb outputs 560 lumens of light when turned on.
- It can turn on automatically in the event of a power outage.
- You can easily hang this light bulb from the ceiling of a tent.
- Some people have mentioned that it stops holding a charge after a few uses.
- Other people have said that it doesn't light up as bright as they expected.
Emergencies can happen at any time. Sometimes they are small emergencies that only affect people for a few hours. Other times they are major natural disasters that can leave people stranded for days before they are rescued. We may not know when an emergency will happen but we can always get ourselves prepared ahead of time.
Having emergency lighting is a critical part of planning for an emergency. Your choice of emergency lighting should be long lasting and bright enough to allow you to see in even total blackout conditions. You should also pick out lighting that has multiple purposes rather than just lighting.
For example, you can purchase some emergency lanterns that store kindling or timber and come with a fire starter. This can be ideal in situations where you may need to start a fire to keep warm. People who live in cold climates that are prone to power failure may wish to consider a lantern with such a feature.
Other lights have the ability to charge portable devices. Although cell phone towers may not be active during a natural disaster, it’s still a good idea to have charged mobile phones so that you can call for help once service has been restored. Having a power bank in your emergency light is a good way to make sure your phone stays charged while the power is out.
Regardless of what kind of emergency light you choose, it’s important to make sure you have an item that is both durable and reliable. You may never know what nature can through at your or your family. The best plan is to plan ahead.
Criteria Used to Evaluate the Best Emergency Lights
When it comes to emergencies such as being in the dark if the electricity goes out, you will need a light that is really bright. You will need something that helps you see everything clearly. You never know when you will have to go to the basement to check the breaker box or just sit down there in case of a tornado and having a really bright light can make a world of difference than sitting in complete darkness.
You will need to make sure the emergency lights you use are stable enough to use. This means, you want to ensure that if in case you drop your light, it doesn’t break into a million pieces. You never know during an emergency and during all of the chaos that might happen during that emergency, you might drop your light. If you do drop it, you want it to be in one piece still.
You never know what is going to happen during an emergency and because of not knowing what will happen, your emergency light should be waterproof. Let’s look at this as an example; you are trying to get out of your home during a flood and you are carrying your emergency light. You drop it in the water. Because of dropping it in the water, it won’t turn on anymore. In case something like this happens, you want to be sure your light is waterproof.
Comes With a Locking Handle
When you need to leave your home or wherever you are during an emergency, you will need to hang on tight to your emergency light. Because of this, your light should come with a locking handle so you can hang it on your arm and lock it there as to not lose it during the emergency. That is all you need is to lose the one thing that will help you get through what is happening around you.
No one ever knows when something bad is going to happen. Because of this, you should find an emergency light that comes with many years of a warranty if not, a lifetime warranty. This way, if something happens to your light, you can get another one before another crisis happens in your life.
You want your emergency light to come battery powered. You never want one that needs to be plugged in just in case your electricity goes out for a while. Make sure you always have the right sized batteries nearby at all times to ensure you will always have a light that works if an emergency happens.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How Long Will Emergency Lights Stay On?
A: As long as the battery or batteries in the emergency lights are fully charged and in good condition, the lights should last for at least 90 minutes. This is why you should have more than one in case of an emergency that lasts longer than 90 minutes. If the light does not last for at least this long, you will either need to replace the batteries or the whole light. Make sure to have as many emergency lights that you can afford to have because you never know what will happen, and when it will happen.
Q: Where is the Best Place to Buy Emergency Lights?
A: To find the best emergency lights, you can go to your local hardware store. You can also find them online but it is not recommended because you don’t know how long they sat at the warehouse where they are stored. Because you don’t know how old they are, you also don’t know how good they are and how long they will last. That is why it is best to go to your local hardware store and ask someone who works there about the best emergency lights they sell.
Q: When is the Best Time to Test Your Emergency Lights and How Often Should You?
A: If your emergency happens at the place you work, your place of business will have emergency lights installed where they are required. They go by a fire code to test them and the fire code requires the test to be at least once per month and for 30 seconds each time to make sure the lights still work. However, if you are at home and have your emergency lights at home with you, you can test them whenever you want to and as often as you want to just to ensure they still work. Maybe once per week of testing will work and at least turn the lights on for about 30 seconds to make sure they stay on and work properly.
Q: How Many Emergency Lights Do You Need?
A: Since emergency lights only last for 90 minutes and you never know how long you will need to use them, you should have as many as you can handle. Probably about five or six would work. One or two for each person in the house would probably be better. This way, if one goes out, there are more in the house with the other people living with you.
Q: How Many Batteries Does One Emergency Light Take?
A: It depends on the type of emergency light it is. Some take Size D, while others take triple A and double A batteries. You should have the different sizes around your house because you never know which light or lights you will be using during the emergency.
Q: How to Keep Emergency Lights Maintained?
A: To keep emergency lights maintained, you should always make sure they are working properly. You should test them often to ensure they are always working and try to store them where the dust from your home will stay out of them. If any dust does get on them, wipe them off before and after use to keep them working properly all the time. You never know when you will need them.