Best Jump Ropes Reviewed & Rated for Quality
Are you looking for an inexpensive and fun way to lose weight, increase endurance, or tone muscle? Jump roping will help you achieve all these goals and more. This amazing exercise has a number of health benefits and is very compact and portable. You can easily pack it up to take on business trips, take your rope to the park or beach, or you can jump rope in your own backyard and have a great cardiovascular workout. And unlike most exercise equipment, these are quite affordable and can last a lifetime.
- Survival and Cross
- Fully Adjustable
- WOD Nation Speed
- Four-Bearing System
- Master of Muscle
- No Tangling or Bending
The health benefits of jump roping are well-known in the fitness world, especially among professional fighters like boxers and MMA fighters. Legends like Mohamed Ali, Mike Tyson, and Manny Pacquiao jumped rope to improve footwork, balance, coordination, and endurance. It’s an exercise that not only works out your lower body, but your arms, back and shoulders as well. You will burn more calories per minute compared to jogging, and it has less impact on your joints. With so many benefits, there is no reason why this activity should not be part of your daily workout.
Whether you are looking to get lean or get stronger (or both!), skipping rope can help get you there. There are lightweight and weighted jump ropes on the market, that are designed to be your best friend in the gym or wherever you are.
The jump ropes of today cannot be compared to the heavy, plastic segmented ones you may have used as a kid. They come in a wide variety of styles and are designed to be more effective than ever. So, what type should you choose? That depends on what you plan on using them for. Some are created to build muscle while others help you lose weight and build endurance. To help you find the skipping rope that fits your fitness needs, we’ve compiled, reviewed, and rated the best ones on the market. They each have their own benefits, so take the time to read the reviews and find out which one is best for you!
10 Best Jump Ropes
1. Survival and Cross
If you’re a beginner and have worries that skipping rope is a technique too difficult to learn, don’t worry, Survival and Cross has you covered. When you purchase their product, you also receive a free downloadable exercise manual that will guide you to mastering this fitness tool in no time.
In order to get the most out of your workout, it’s important that your equipment is able to conform to your body type. This rope gives you 10 feet of cable that can easily be adjusted and can even be cut so you have your own custom sized rope.
Cost and Value
This has an amazing cost to quality ratio as it is made with high-quality material that is strong and durable and comes at a surprisingly low cost. The free video only adds to the value by providing you with important information for a better workout.
- Has two collars and sliding screws for easy adjustability
- Features steel bearings for better speed
- Comes with a free downloadable instruction video
- Has a travel ready design
- Some found it too light
- The coating may wear after some time
2. WOD Nation Speed
WOD Nation uses extra smooth steel bearings in a patented 4 bearing system for consistent and controlled speed. It features two bearings on the tips of the handles and two inside the handles, allowing even beginners to have confidence with each swing.
Nylon Resin Handles
Comfortable handles are a must, without the right padding or shape they will cause chafing and blisters. In order to prevent this, the 6 ¾-inch handles are covered in soft nylon resin and have a tapered end that keeps them from slipping.
Cost and Value
WOD Nation is a brand that is used elite athletes in a variety of sports. You can choose from nine different colors and they also provide you with an extra cable, so it’s like you’re getting two pieces of exercise equipment for the price of one.
- Has a patented bearing system for increased speed
- The handles are made with nylon resin for extra comfort
- Comes with a carrying bag
- Backed by a lifetime guarantee
- May not be ideal for beginners
- Some users complaint about screws becoming loose
3. Master of Muscle
In order to get the most out of your workout, you need to keep a certain pace. Kinks in the cable are not only annoying, but they break your rhythm. The WOD Whipper has a wire cable that is coated with thermoplastic polyurethane that not only prevents kinks, but stops tangling and unwanted bending.
90-Degree Handle Turn
The secret to mastering the double under is speed control. The faster and smoother the cable rotates the better. This has a 90-degree handle turn that allows smooth rotations and amazing speed.
Cost and Value
This is one of the least expensive items on the list, yet still has many of the same perks you’d find with higher end sports equipment. That includes a carry bag, a life time guarantee, and a free e-book that guides you through several workouts.
- Features a 90-degree handle for increased speed
- The wire is designed to prevent kinks and tangling
- Comes with a carry bag
- You get a free e-book with 20 workouts
- Some found it too light and thin
- Handles may be too narrow for some users
4. King Athletic
For the ultimate comfort, King Athletic created foam grips that are custom molded so you can use this without the worry of chafing and blisters. The handles also feature super-smooth ball bearing for even and effortless rotations.
Two Free E-Books
Any professional fitness instructor will tell you that form and technique is critical in getting the most out of every workout. You get two free e-books with this purchase that not only helps improve technique, but also guides you to a better nutritional diet.
Cost and Value
King Athletic makes sure that you get the most bang for your buck with a product that is not only built to endure heavy-duty use, but they back it up it a lifetime guarantee and a return policy that not only replaces your item, but also returns your money as well.
- Molded foam grips that are custom made for comfort
- You get two e-books on technique and nutrition
- Cable has a PVC and leather coating
- Good for people up to 6-feet 10-inches tall
- Some found the plastic hard to straighten out
- Cord is not bend resistant
5. Fitness Master
In order to maximize your skipping speed, the handles were equipped with rotating rods reduces friction and prevents tangling. The unique design means that the cable is connected perpendicular to the stems for smooth and effortless rotations each and every time.
Making time to work out is important for both, your physical and mental health. This products lightweight design makes it very convenient to bring on business trips, vacations, or to your neighborhood park, making sure you never have an excuse to skip your training.
Cost and Value
Nothing is more valuable than your health and fitness, and this items low cost and high-quality build makes it a must-have for anyone looking to stay fit. It handles are durable and the extra-long cord can be adjust to fit any and every one.
- Features rotating rods for increased speed
- Come with a spare screw kit
- Easy to follow instructions for size adjustment
- Cable is coated with a heavy-duty plastic
- Some found the handles to be uncomfortable
- Cord is very thin
Dependability is important in a fitness tool. The last thing you want is it to be breaking down on you during workout session. This is why FitSkuad accessorized their product with extra-large screws that stay tight put and tight no matter how aggressive you routine is.
Increase your speed without the pain of blisters and chafing with these extra-long handles. They are made with lightweight aluminum for extra durability and foam in the middle that provides comfort and a better grip.
Cost and Value
This comes in the mid-price range and has some great features that make it an ideal fitness tool for beginners. This includes an extra cable, a free carrying bag, and an easy-to-follow guide for mastering skipping techniques.
- Handles are made of strong, lightweight aluminum
- Features a double ball-bearing design
- Has extra-long handles with foam grips
- Comes with an extra cable
- Some complaints about customer service
- The handles may be too heavy for some users
7. 321 Strong
During an intense workout session your hands will get sweaty. To prevent slips that will not only interrupt your exercise, but possible also injure you, 321 Strong designed the handles with tapered ends and easy grip material.
Braided Steel Cable
Strength and durability is an important factor to consider when choosing the right fitness tool. To prevent fraying and breaks, this item features a braided steel cable that is coated with vinyl.
Cost and Value
Although this item comes at the low end of the price spectrum on this list, it comes with tons of great feature and extras. This includes a spare eleven foot cable, extra end caps and extra thumb screws.
- Constructed with strong braided steel wire
- Can accommodate individuals up to seven feet tall
- Comes with lots of free extras
- Features a spindled design for smooth revolutions
- Screws may come loose
- No instructions for adjusting
8. Pulse Weighted
For the perfect blend of comfort and functionality, Pulse constructed these handles with memory foam that not only helps prevent sweat, but also allows for a firm grip. They also feature an inner panic weight for better balance and feel.
At 6mm, the cable is not only thicker than most, but also heavier, making them ideal for anyone looking to build and tone muscles. They are also very easy to adjust. Simply take the end cap off, remove the plastic stopper, cut to desired length, and reassemble.
Cost and Value
This beautifully designed product is sure to meet all your exercise needs for one low cost. It has great balance and a cable that strong and resists tangles and kinks. Pulse is so confident in this item that it backs it up with 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
- Has a thick cable for muscle toning
- Handles are made with memory foam for maximum comfort
- Ball-bearings feature a high-speed swivel design
- Easy to adjust
- May be too fast for beginners
- Weights can fall out of handles if dropped too much
9. Fitness Factor Adjustable
Nothing is more frustrating during a workout than having to stop and untangle your cord. It breaks your rhythm and makes it hard to maintain the ideal heart rate. This tangle-free cord will time and aggravation.
If you’re a beginner looking to include a skipping exercise to your routine, then this is the perfect product for you. It comes with a free trainer’s guide that provides with step-by-step directions and will have you skipping like a pro in no time.
Cost and Value
Fitness Factor designed the cord to be extra durable so you don’t have to worry about it breaking, cracking, or snapping during workout sessions. It also includes a free carry bag so you can skip your way to better health no matter where you are.
Handy carrying bag
Very easy to adjust to the right height
Comes with a helpful exercise booklet
Some reviewers complained that it tangles easily
Rope weight might be too light
Although many skipping cables can be adjusted, this item can be quickly and easily with your bare hands. The unique design features plastic pieces within the handles that allow you to customize the ford to the perfect length.
Consistency and smooth rotations are important when using a fitness tool such as this. It ensures uninterrupted workouts for maximum results. In order to achieve this, Limm incorporates a precise ball-bearing design that reduces kinks and friction.
Cost and Value
Even though this is less expensive than most of the items on this list, you still get all many of the same great features you would find on the higher end products. Limm prioritizes customer satisfaction and backs this up with a 100% money back guarantee.
- Length of the cord can be adjusted with your hands
- Features a precise ball-bearings design
- Has comfortable ergonomically designed handles
- Comes with a money back guarantee
- Some complaints about twisting and tangling
- May be too light for double unders
Choosing the right type of workout equipment is important for achieving your fitness goals. Jump ropes that are low-quality are not only less effective, but they can tangle up, leave rope burns, cause your hands to chafe up or blister, and they will also slap across your shins leaving you with painful welts. The list above contains the best skipping ropes available on the market which are used by professional athletes around the world. They are an easy and very inexpensive way to get fit and stay healthy. Find the one that meets your exercise needs and get started on the road to fitness today!
Criteria Used in Evaluation of the Best Jump Ropes
The length of the cord is very important and can affect efficiency and performance. To find the ideal length you will stand with your feet together on the middle of the cord. If the handles reach between your lower ribs and waist, then it is fine. If it comes up to your chest or higher, then it is too long, and if it doesn’t reach your waist, then it is too short. It’s best that beginners start with a longer cord until they improve. The better you get, the shorter the cord can get, until you are holding them right above your hips. To ensure that you get one that fits your body type and height, look for ones that are adjustable. This way you can customize it to fit your needs and shorten it as you get better.
The type of handle your fitness tool plays a vital role in comfort and preventing chafing and blistering. There are several different types of handles you will find, including plastic, wooden, metal, and foam covered. Although the foam covered handles can help keep your palms dry and are more comfortable, they may not be ideal for speed. Wooden handles are heavier and are great if you plan on toning muscle and building endurance. Lightweight metal and plastic handles are usually the lightest and ideal for speed skipping. You also want to take into account the length of the handles. The longer the handles, the easier it is to control the cable. Shorter handles can be more difficult to control, but they allow for more speed.
The way the cord connects to the handle will play a role in how easily and quickly it can be spun around. There are three types of connections:
- Regular Connection – For this type of connection the rope is placed right into the handle. This is the type of connection you would find on basic jump ropes and is great for beginners. However, it’s not very good for speed since you get a lot of friction.
- Swivel Bearing Connection – This type of connection includes ball-bearings found on the end of the handles that are linked to the cord. This provides you with significantly less friction for increased speed and it also allows for more fluid and better-controlled rotation.
- 90-Degree Connection – This is the type of connection speed jumpers prefer. It’s when the cord is connected to the handle at a 90-degree angle. This also has very little friction and allows for very fast rotations.
Types of Jump Ropes
This popular exercise tool has a long history that dates back to the medieval period. Since then, they have gone through many changes and have a wide variety of different fitness benefits. The type of material used will usually determine what it will be used for. Here is a list of different types of cords that are used and their benefits:
- Cloth – This type is usually the least expensive of the group and has a simple design. They are made of plastic or machine-braided cloth and have handles that are made from either wood or plastic, and sometimes they just have knots instead of handles. These are ideal for beginners and can help develop rhythm, balance, and endurance while building muscle memory. The disadvantages are that they get dirty easily and will fray and break if used on rough surfaces. Their light weight also makes it difficult to twirl as fast as some of the others.
- Leather – These are more expensive and usually have handles that are made of wood or plastic. They can be spun faster than cloth cords and are great for cardio training. They less prone to tangling and make less noise when hitting the ground. They are a popular option with professional boxers.
- Beaded – This type is constructed with a nylon inner cord that is coated with polyurethane or plastic segments. This is the heavier than most in the group and is very durable. Although they can rotate slightly quicker than cloth ropes, they’re too heavy for speed skipping. However, the extra weight helps is great for muscle toning and increasing your leg strength. They are fairly inexpensive and the segments prevent tangling. This is a great tool for warm-ups and beginners looking to improve their rhythm.
- Licorice PVC – These are also relatively inexpensive and are made with are thick PVC or cords of polyvinyl that are connected to plastic handles. They can be rotated faster than beaded and cloth cords and provides users with an excellent cardio workout. This is ideal for beginners looking to increase their speed, coordination, endurance, and agility.
- Speed Rope – These are also made with a PVC cord, but are much thinner and lighter than the licorice PVC. They have durable handles made from either plastic or a lightweight metal like aluminum and feature ball bearings inside that connect them to the cord. This design decreases friction for a much faster rotation. This type is used by more experienced and advanced athletes such as boxers and mixed martial arts fighters due to its increased speed. It’s great for stamina, balance, coordination, and anyone serious about getting fit. However, because it is so thin, it is also more likely to tangle and is less durable than other cords.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What should I look for when choosing a jump rope?
A: There are a wide variety of different types, and choosing the right one for you will depend on your experience level and what you want to get out of it. Speed cords are great for burning calories, building speed, coordination, and endurance. Weighted cords are for muscle toning and increasing strength in your legs, shoulders, and arms. However, there are some are some basics requirements your new sports equipment should meet.
- Handles – You will want to make sure that the handles feel comfortable in your hand. Handles that are too hard or rough can cause chafing and blisters to appear.
- Cord Material – The cord material can be made from cloth, leather, PVC, or steel cable just to name a few. The type of material that will work best for you depends on your level of experience. A cloth cord is the slowest and steel cable is the fastest.
- Durability – Will you be using this outside on the concrete or grass, or will you be using it only indoors. Different types of cords have different levels of durability.
- Length – It’s important that the cord in neither too long nor too short, otherwise you will not be able to get an effective workout.
Q: What are the benefits of using a skipping cord?
A: Other than being an inexpensive, portable and fun fitness tool, it has a number of other benefits as well, Including:
- It’s considered one of the best High-Intensity Interval Training exercises
- You can burn up to 1300 calories in one hour, which is more effective than running
- Can help build and tone muscles
- It helps improve balance, footwork, agility, and coordination
- It’s great for conditioning and endurance training
- It works out your lower body and upper body, including calf muscles, thighs, abs, shoulders, and arms
- It helps develop the hip-flexor muscles
- It is easier on puts less pressure on the joints than running
- Studies show that it improves bone density
- It improves your cardiovascular health, blood pressure, and heart rate
- It is something that anyone and everyone can use
Q: As a beginner, what type of skipping cable should I buy?
A: If you are looking to burn calories and improve your speed, you should probably start with a PVC cable. It is light enough to maintain a good rhythm and speed and is easier to control. When you feel that you are ready to start doing double-unders and increase the intensity of your workout, then you could move up to the speed rope.
Q: How long should my skipping cord be?
A: This will depend on your experience level. Here is a simple guideline you can follow:
- Put one foot in the middle of the cord
- Extend the handles up until the cord is tightly stretched
- If you are a beginner, you’ll want the end of the handles to reach your shoulders
- If you are more experienced, then the end of the handles should stretch up to right below your armpits
- If you are an expert or doing double-unders, the end of the handles should reach up to your chest
Q: What kind should I get if I am just trying to tone some muscles?
A: To tone muscles, you should look for ones that come with weighted handles. Although it provides many of the same benefits a speed cord provides, such as improved footwork, endurance, and coordination, the extra weight helps burn a lot more calories and helps increase strength.