Best Stationary Bikes Reviewed & Rated for Quality
Riding a bicycle is an excellent form of exercise that primarily works the lower body and cardiovascular system. Many people enjoy this form of exercise since it’s easy on your legs and will give you a good workout. However, it’s not always possible to take a bike ride outside for a number of reasons that include things such as the weather, traffic, and time. For this reason, many people ride stationary bikes, which are also known as exercise bikes and indoor bikes. This allows you to go for a ride without ever have to move. Many people enjoy this since they can exercise comfortably in the indoors and do things such as watch a movie or tv show or listen to music while they exercise.
- MagneTrainer-ER Mini
- Steel Base
- Assault Fitness AirBike
- Computer Assistane
- Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright
- Tension Control
You can purchase these bikes at just about any different price point so they are affordable for many people. There are also a number of different designs that you can pick between so that you can get the one that is best suited to your needs. You will notice that most of these indoor bikes have features such as calorie monitors and heart rate monitors so that you can measure your workout as well so they are a great option.
10 Best Stationary Bikes
1. MagneTrainer-ER Mini
The ER Mini is small which means that you can put it just about anywhere. You can put it in on the floor underneath your desk or set it on a table to exercise your arms.
The ER-Mini has a wide base that is made of steel. The wide base will keep it from tipping over while you are working out with this trainer so that you don't have an accident.
Cost and Value
Another reason why you will love the ER-Mini is that it is sold at a price that is lower than the average price. This means that you can easily pick up a mini to help you stay in shape.
- It has a magnetic resistance system that gives you more resistance than competitor's products.
- The base is over 15 inches wide so that it's stable.
- There are Velcro straps that you can use to lock your feet on the pedals.
- It's small size lets you use it anywhere you need to put it.
- It's capable of tracking distance, calories, time, and speed for you.
- The machine can move around when used with your legs.
- Sometimes the pedals will fall off of the machine while you are using it.
2. Assault Fitness AirBike
You can use the computer to track your workout progress and give you information such as calories, watts, and heart rate. It also has motivational programs that you can use.
You can set different goals such as calories burned or a distance target. The AirBike will notify you when you have reached your goal so that you don't have to keep checking on your own.
Cost and Value
You should plan on spending an amount that is higher than the average price for the AirBike. This is a premium unit that is well made and has high-end features.
- There are ball bearings in the frame that makes for a smooth feel.
- The resistance comes from the fan in the front of the bike.
- It will give you a total body workout rather than strictly a lower body one.
- You can adjust the seat up and down as well as forward and backward.
- The computer controls let you set goals such as calorie goals.
- Users have had issues with the chain falling off.
- Some reviewers have reported that the gears strip after a while.
3. Exerpeutic Magnetic Upright
There are eight different tension settings that you can choose between so that you can adjust the workout. This will allow you to pick the setting that is best for your needs.
The Exerpeutic has a heart rate monitor built into it. Tracking your heart rate can be important for many people since it's useful for weight loss as well as training purposes.
Cost and Value
Another reason why this is great for the home is that it is sold at a price that is lower than the average price. This makes it affordable for just about anyone.
- The seat cushion is large so that it's comfortable for people of any size.
- You can adjust the seat to the perfect height for your body.
- There is a built-in heart rate monitor so that you can track your heart rate.
- It can be folded up when you need to store it.
- You can pick between eight different options for the resistance.
- You are not free to use a different seat in case you don't like the stock one.
- The pedals are made of plastic and are not durable.
4. Sunny Health and Fitness
It has a flywheel that weighs forty pounds. The flywheel provides you with plenty of momentum and will create a smooth feel as you use the bike which is easy on your joints.
You can adjust the seat and the handlebars on this bike. This allows you to find a position that is the most comfortable for your workout needs.
Cost and Value
This item is sold at an average price so it's an excellent option for home users. You can get a bike that is well made and durable without having to pay a premium.
- There is a flywheel that weighs forty pounds so that you get resistance.
- You can adjust the amount of tension in the pedals.
- The seat and the handlebars can be adjusted as needed.
- There are wheels that you can use to move it.
- The seat is covered with leather and is fully padded.
- There is a belt on the pedals that is known to squeak.
- The resistance setting is not consistent and is hard to use.
5. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
You can connect to this recumbent using its Bluetooth interface. This allows you to use it with the Schwinn Trainer smartphone application that will help you track your fitness.
You won't have any trouble finding a workout program. This recumbent has 29 different programs. This includes programs that track your heart rate, quick start, and there are even fitness test programs.
Cost and Value
The Schwinn 270 is sold at a price that is higher than the average price. The higher price is due to it being loaded with many premium features that make it fun to use.
- It has a Bluetooth interface that you can use with a smartphone application.
- You can ride socially using the RideSocial application on your phone.
- There are 29 different programs that are installed on this machine.
- It has USB charging for your smartphone while you work out.
- You can track your progress by using the DualTrack LCD.
- Some users have reported that the seat is not comfortable.
- Other users have had issues with the smartphone application.
6. Marcy Magnetic Recumbent
This recumbent has standard sized handlebars that are covered with a comfort foam. The foam will help you maintain a firm grip on the bars while you exercise.
You can control the amount of tension that you feel on this recumbent by using the knob. The knob has eight different settings so that you can get the proper resistance.
Cost and Value
You can purchase this recumbent at a price that is lower than the average price. The lower price turns it into a great value since you don't have a pay a premium for a great bike.
- You can adjust the seat so that you are comfortable.
- The handlebars are covered with foam to improve the comfort.
- It has an LCD display panel that shows you important metrics.
- You can adjust the tension using the tension knob.
- It's easy to move it around the house because it has wheels.
- Some users have had issues with the tension knob not working.
- Other reviewers have reported that the seat isn't comfortable at all.
The desk has been built into the machine. It has a gripping surface that will keep your laptop from falling off of it while you are working. You can also use the tablet holder as well.
The seat and the back are adjustable and you can even adjust them into a semi-recumbent position so that you can work and exercise in a comfortable position as you use it.
Cost and Value
One of the best parts of the fit desk is that you can purchase it for an average price. This allows you to get a great bike and workstation without having to spend a premium on it.
- It has a gearbox that is durable and long-lasting.
- There is a laptop desk built into the bike for work.
- It has a tablet holder so for a tablet device.
- You can adjust the seat and the back for comfort.
- You can adjust the seat and the back for comfort.
- Reviewers have had issues with the pedal straps breaking on it.
- The desk isn't large enough for some laptops or a keyboard.
8. Vive Pedal Exerciser
The Vive has an LCD screen that you can use so that you can track your progress. This lets you see important information such as calories that are burned or distance.
Due to its small design, you can put the Vive on a table and then use it to exercise your arms and your upper body. The pedals have finger grips on them.
Cost and Value
The Vive is sold at a price that is lower than the average price. The lower price turns it into an excellent value since you don't have to pay a premium for it.
- You can use it to exercise your legs and your arms.
- There is a knob that you can use to set the resistance.
- It's small enough to put under a desk or on a table.
- There is an LCD screen that you use to track your progress.
- It has rubber feet that won't mark or scratch your floor.
- The motion in the pedal can feel rough rather than smooth.
- Other users have had issues with it wobbling while using it.
9. Innova Health and Fitness
It has an extra large seat that also includes a backrest. You can adjust the seat up and down as well as forward and backward so that you can reach the pedals.
It has two flywheels that give you a smooth motion while you are pedaling. They have magnetic resistance so that you can adjust it to the level that you need.
Cost and Value
You can purchase this item at a price that is lower than the average price. The low price turns it into an excellent item for home use since you don't have to spend much on it.
- It has a tablet holder that can hold all of the major tablet brands.
- There is magnetic resistance that is adjustable to get the right resistance.
- It has a heart rate monitor so that you can check your heart rate.
- You can fold it up when you are not using it.
- It has a large seat with a back that is adjustable.
- Some users have reported that the monitor doesn't work properly.
- The adjustment knobs for the seat do not stay tight.
10. Nautilus R614
The Nautilus has a USB port that you can use to charge your phone or mobile device. The port can also be used to export work out data to the USB device.
It comes with twenty-two programs installed. You can use these programs to add variety to your workout which will help you train and tone better as you use the recumbent.
Cost and Value
This is a higher end recumbent so you are going to need to plan on spending a little extra on it. It's packed with plenty of premium features that justify the higher price.
- There are two LCD monitors that you can use to track your progress.
- You can charge your phone or export data using the USB port.
- It comes with a heart rate monitor that tracks your heart rate.
- You will love how music sounds coming from the speakers.
- It has 20 different resistance options that you can pick from.
- Users have reported that the bike loses its resistance in less than a year.
- Reviewers have reported that it is hard to assemble the bike.
Riding a bike is a great way to get plenty of low impact exercise. It’s easy on your legs, knees, ankles, and your feet which is why so many people prefer this kind of exercise. It’s also easy to get your heart rate up while you are riding a bike which makes it possible to lose weight, tone, or train. Many people enjoy riding for pleasure as well as exercise so there are lots of reasons to ride a bike. However, if you want to ride a bike indoors, then you are going to need a stationary bike.
A stationary bike brings all of the benefits and pleasure of outdoor bike riding into your home. This makes it possible for you to get a great workout without having to expose yourself to the weather. For people that live in excessively hot or cold climates, a stationary bike makes it possible to ride year round. Many people like to entertain themselves or work while they exercise and you can use these bikes to watch TV, read a book, or work on your laptop computer without having to worry about a lack of exercise. This makes owning an exercise bike a great addition to your home.
Criteria Used in Choosing the Best Stationary Bikes
When you are shopping for an exercise bike, you are going to be presented with four different kinds. All of them accomplish the same goal and there isn’t one design that is necessarily better than another kind. However, the kind of bike that you pick out is going to affect your comfort while you are using it. Some riding positions can be more comfortable for some people than other ones so you may want to try the different styles in a showroom or a gym prior to purchasing.
The upright type is the one that looks like a regular bicycle. It has a vertical seat that you can stand or sit on and the pedals are beneath you while the handlebars are in front of you. If you want to sit back or recline while you are exercising, then you are going to want to get a recumbent bike. This kind has the pedals in front of you and you lean back into the seat. The handlebars are position below the seat. If you like to watch a movie or read while you use the bike, then you may want to consider this style. Spin bikes have a high seat with the pedals positioned below you and the handlebars in front. They have more of a “V” shape than an upright bike so it’s difficult to stand up. Finally, you have the under the desk bikes. These are bikes that only have the pedal part and you have to use your own chair. They are best suited for home offices or when you are sitting on the couch and watching TV or a movie.
No matter what style of bicycle you pick, you are going to need to make sure that the seat is comfortable. Nobody is going to want to use a bike that has a seat that isn’t padded or is too small or large for them. Some people may want to have a seat that has a backrest while other people might prefer one that doesn’t have a backrest. When you are looking at bicycles, you have to make sure that the seat is comfortable. Otherwise, you are not going to be satisfied with the bicycle.
There are a few things that you will want to look for when you are picking out a seat. One of the first things that you will want to look at is if the seat can be replaced with different seats. This isn’t always possible, but it’s a nice feature to have because it will let you swap out the seat if you find that you don’t like it or need to replace it. The seat will also need to be adjustable both in the up and down positions as well as the back and forth so that you can reach the pedals properly. Next, you should make sure that the seat has enough padding and cushioning so that you feel comfortable while you are sitting on it.
The final thing to check is if the seat has a backrest. Some people don’t always want a backrest while other people find it to be more comfortable. If the bicycle seat has a backrest, you should also make sure that it can be adjusted. This way you can be comfortable as you are using the bike.
When you have used your bike for a while, you are going to build muscle. As you build muscle, you are not going to have to work as hard to pedal the bike which means that you are no longer going to continue to burn fat or tone your body. For this reason, you are going to need to be able to increase the resistance.
Resistance refers to how difficult it is to pedal the bike. The higher the resistance setting is, the harder you are going to need to work in order to pedal the bike. Increasing the resistance is the way that you continue to gain while you work out. Whenever you feel that it isn’t challenging to use the bike, you are going to need to up the resistance in order to keep your workout challenging.
Some bikes have a knob that you turn in order to set the resistance to the proper level. You may also see ones that control the resistance through electronic means. This is more common on bicycles that have programmable workout routines. There are also bikes that have no resistance control at all such as fan bicycles or bicycles that have heavy flywheels. These bikes use physics to control the amount of resistance for the user.
Normally, you are going to want to get a bicycle that allows you to control the amount of resistance. Having the ability to set the resistance allows the bike to continue to offer you a challenging workout. It also makes it possible for other members of your household to use the bike since everyone has a different body and is at different levels.
Heart Rate Control
It’s recommended that you get a bicycle that has a heart rate monitor of some sort. This is because when you are exercising, you should keep a close eye on your heart in order to make sure that you are exercising at an optimal heart rate. This will help you strengthen your heart in the event that you are training for a competition or lose fat if you are trying to burn fat. Not all bikes have a heart rate monitor so you will want to find out if the bike has one or not.
Bikes that cost less do not typically have a heart rate monitor. If this is the case, there are plenty of external monitors that are available for you to use for a low cost. However, for not a lot of extra money, you can get a bike that has a built-in heart rate monitor. These are usually integrated into the handlebars and the heart rate will appear on the display. Premium bikes allow you to use a chest strap to monitor your heart rate. A chest strap tends to give you the most accurate reading and will help you measure your heart rate better.
You may also see exercise bicycles that have programs that keep you at your target heart rate. They work by changing the resistance in order to keep your heart rate steady. This is a premium feature but it’s very helpful to have for when you are trying to lose weight or are training. Such programs normally work by letting you use the handlebar heart rate monitor or the ones found in chest straps that work wirelessly.
As the old saying goes, you can’t manage what you can’t measure. This saying is certainly applicable to health and fitness because you’ll need to track your progress in order to make sure that you are hitting your fitness goals. Your exercise equipment can help with this so you should be on the lookout for an exercise bicycle that will track important metrics so that you can reach your goals. Some of the most important metrics are revolutions per minutes (RPM), time, calories, and distance. All of these metrics will help you to make sure that you get the maximum amount out of each workout.
However, it isn’t going to be enough to simply track these metrics. You are going to need a way to read them which is why the display matters. When you are looking for a bike, you should make sure that it has a clear display that makes it easy for you to read the required information. The display should be backlit as well so that you can read it when there isn’t a lot of light. Finally, the presented information should be clear and you should have no trouble understanding what you are seeing.
Another thing that’s important for the display is to make sure that it has good controls. The controls should be easy to use while you are pedaling the bike and it should be easy to understand what the controls are doing. If you are having trouble figuring out what the buttons are doing, then it’s going to be really hard to use the bike while you are working out. The better the display is designed, the happier you are going to be on the bike.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are fold-up bikes?
A: Fold up bikes are great for people who do not have a dedicated fitness area in their homes. As the name suggests, this sort of bike can be folded up when you are not using so that you can store it out of the way or in a closet. If you are getting such a bike, then you need to make sure that it’s easy to put away and set up when you are using it.
Q: Can I cross train on a bike?
A: If you need a full body workout, there are certain bikes that have moving handlebars. You use such handlebars by pushing them back and forth while you are pedaling the bike. This will create a full body motion and allow you to cross train. It’s not a common feature but there are bikes that have this sort of configuration and you should look for them if you are interested in getting a full body workout.
Q: How do I keep my bike from marking up my floor?
A: The first thing that you will want to check is if the bike has rubber pads on the bottom. This will go a long way in protecting your floor. If you find that this isn’t sufficient you can get an area rug to put underneath your bike or purchase the puzzle mats that are commonly found in fitness clubs. This will help to protect your floors from getting marked up when you are using the bike.
Q: Which bike is best for weight loss?
A: When it comes to weight loss, there really isn’t one kind of bike that is better than the other. Weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit by reducing what you eat and increase when you burn off. When it comes to burning off calories, all kinds of bikes are suitable so you should pick one that feels the most comfortable to you so that you use the bike on a regular basis which will give you the best results.
Q: Should I purchase the extended warranty?
A: Rather than paying extra for an extended warranty, you should instead consider getting a bike that has at least a one year warranty on labor and a two to a three-year warranty for major parts. Most bikes are going to fail within this time period if they fail at all so it’s usually not a good value to get an extended warranty. If you are concerned about failure, then you are better off getting a higher end bike.