Best Horse Shampoos Reviewed & Rated for Quality
Like every creature on earth, horses require hygiene to promote good health and to fight off disease. The better job that you do taking care of your horse, the longer and the healthier it will live. You will not only see your horse looking its best, but you will also save on expensive veterinary care when your horse is well taken care of. One of the most important things that you can do for your horse’s health is to give it regular baths.
- Dechra Pet Shampoo
- Vet One Ketohex
- Dr. Muller Pet Solutions
Bathing is important because it helps remove dirt, fungus, and bacteria from your horse’s coat. Failing to provide your horse with regular baths can lead to a buildup of fleas, bacteria, and fungus which can lead to an infection and cause your horse to get sick. When you are bathing your horse, you will need to make sure that you have picked out a high-quality horse shampoo so that you can trust that your horse has had all of the harmful substances removed from its coat. A high-quality shampoo will clean and moisturize your horse’s fur while also helping to kill anything that could potentially make your horse sick. The better job that you do picking out a horse shampoo, the better your horse will feel.
10 Best Horse Shampoos
The shampoo contains medication that kills fungus and bacteria. This will help to prevent infection from harmful organisms that could end up causing your horse to get sick later on.
The shampoo also contains agents that help to repair and maintain your horse's skin. This is important because many shampoos have harsh cleansing agents that can leave a horse's skin dry.
Cost and Value
You will see this brand of pet shampoo sold at a price that is average for horse shampoo. That allows you to purchase a high-quality horse shampoo without having to spend much.
- It contains ingredients that kill off fungus for skin and hair protection
- The shampoo is also antimicrobial which kills harmful organisms on your horse.
- There are also skin moisturizing agents to repair and maintain damaged skin.
- It will continue to work even after you have rinsed it off.
- The shampoo is made in the U.S.A. rather than imported from other countries.
- Some users have reported that the shampoo does not smell nice.
- Other users have not noticed any improvement in their horse after using the shampoo.
2. Vet One Ketohex
Bacteria can be harmful to your horse and if your horse has any cuts or sores on its skin, then bacteria can enter its body. This shampoo kills harmful bacteria.
Your horse has long hair and short hair in different areas of its body which is why you need a deep cleaning shampoo to make sure that your horse is completely bathed.
Cost and Value
The Vet One Ketohex is sold at a price that is average for horse shampoo making it an excellent value for its cost since you get high-quality shampoo without spending much.
- The Ketohex contains antifungal agents that will kill harmful fungus found on your horse.
- It also has antibacterial agents that kill harmful bacteria to promote health.
- You can use this shampoo on horses, cats, and dogs making it versatile.
- It is scented so that your horse has a clean smell after a bath.
- The product is made in the United States of America and is not imported.
- Some reviewers have reported that the shampoo bother's the animal's skin.
- Other users have not reported a difference in their horse's coat.
3. Dr. Muller Pet Solutions
The shampoo will provide your horse with a therapeutic bathing experience by moisturizing the skin and deep cleaning your horse's fur. This will help improve the horse's mood and help it feel great.
Dr. Muller Pet Solutions also contains phytosphingosine-salicyloyl which is an ingredient that will help to fight skin irritations which will help improve the health of your horse's skin after bath times.
Cost and Value
This is a premium horse shampoo that is sold at a price that is higher than the average price for a horse shampoo. The higher price is due to the higher quality.
- This shampoo contains antiseptic agents that kill harmful bacteria and promote health.
- It also has antimicrobial agents which protect against fungus and other organisms.
- The shampoo moisturizes the skin and hair and works as a grooming aid.
- The deep cleaning agents provide your horse with a therapeutic experience.
- It also contains ingredients that promote healthy skin and prevents itching.
- Some users have reported that the shampoo is ineffective against yeast and bacteria.
- Other reviewers have not noticed an improvement in the horse's skin after using.
4. Dechra DermaBenSs
The shampoo is highly antibacterial which makes it a great choice for a shampoo to use to wash a sore or some other area that you need to pay attention to.
The shampoo does not contain soap so it will not dry out the horse's skin when you are using it. This will help keep sore areas from itching after you have washed them.
Cost and Value
You will see this shampoo sold at a price that is lower than the average price. The low price turns it into a bargain buy since you get a great shampoo without spending much.
- This shampoo does not contain any soap which makes it gentle on the skin.
- You can use this shampoo so treat Hot Spots and other skin conditions.
- It has ceramides that will help to moisturize the horse's skin.
- You can use it for follicular flushing as well as degreasing.
- The shampoo is antiseborrheic and antimicrobial to promote good health in your horse.
- Some reviewers have reported that the shampoo does not have a good smell.
- Other users have reported that it doesn't do much to relieve itching.
5. Nootie Dermatology Solutions
The shampoo is highly concentrated so a little bit of shampoo will go a long way. This allows you to save because you can use less shampoo on each wash of your horse.
The shampoo contains oils that are essential to your horse's skin health. You can trust that is will moisturize and hydrate your horse's skin after you have finished washing your horse.
Cost and Value
You will see Nootie Dermatology Solutions sold at a price that is slightly above the average price. The higher price is justified by the fact that the shampoo lathers richly and lasts longer.
- The shampoo can be used on horses as well as dogs and cats.
- It lathers richly so a little bit goes a long way.
- You can count on it to kill harmful bacteria and fungus.
- It has oils that will moisturize your horse's skin to promote skin health.
- The shampoo is scented so that you will smell the clean on your horse.
- Some reviewers have reported that the shampoo doesn't lather as advertised.
- You have to leave it on for 10 minutes which can be a long time for some animals to wait.
6. Pet MD
This shampoo contains antibacterial as well as antifungal agents that you can use to treat skin conditions on your horse. You can use this shampoo to relieve ringworm, hot spots, and acne.
The shampoo is also great to use when your horse as a light cut, insect bites, or even abrasions on the skin because it kills bacteria which helps to prevent infection.
Cost and Value
You will love the fact that you can purchase a medicated horse shampoo at a price that is around the average price. This makes it into an excellent value for the price.
- It is made in the United States of American so you can trust its quality.
- The shampoo kills bacteria and yeasts that are common causes of infections.
- It will help to treat skin infections such as hot spots.
- You can use this shampoo to relieve discomfort from insect bites.
- The shampoo can be used on horses, dogs, and cats so it's versatile.
- The shampoo does not lather well which can make it hard to use.
- Users have reported that the shampoo does not relieve itching as well as expected.
7. Mane 'n Tail
The shampoo has been formulated with moisturizers and emollients that will help your horse's skin feel soft and moist. This will help your horse feel comfortable and it will be less likely to scratch.
It also has a unique protein formula that has been micro-enriched to provide your horse with a deep down clean and help to promote soft and healthy hair on your horse.
Cost and Value
This shampoo is sold at a price that is well below the average price. The low price allows you to get a high-quality horse shampoo without having to spend a lot on it.
- The shampoo formula contains rich lathering agents that help you wash your horse.
- It has moisturizers and emollients to promote healthy skin after bath time.
- It will help promote a healthy coat on your horse with regular use.
- The shampoo is PH balanced to help promote skin health on your horse.
- It has proteins that will make the fur soft and shiny.
- Some reviewers have experienced the hair tangling when using this shampoo.
- Other users have reported that the shampoo leaves an unusual odor.
8. Shapley's Original M-T-G
You can use this shampoo to treat a variety of different skin conditions. Some of the conditions include things such as dry skin, girth itch, rain rot, scratches, as well as mane rubbing.
Promotes Hair Growth
The shampoo will also help promote the growth of new hair in the groom, mane, and the tail of the horse which will help your horse look better and healthy thanks to a thick coat.
Cost and Value
The Shapley's Original M-T-G is sold at a price that is average for the price of horse shampoo which makes it into an excellent value for a medicated horse shampoo that treats skin conditions.
- This brand of horse shampoo treats a long list of common skin conditions.
- It will help to promote hair growth on the horse for a healthy look.
- The shampoo helps to protect the horse's skin by moisturizing and kill microbes.
- You can use this shampoo on horses, dogs, cats, and other livestock.
- It is oil based which helps to moisturize the skin on the horse.
- Some people have experienced their horses having a reaction to this shampoo.
- Other users have reported that the shampoo has an offensive odor to it.
9. Eqyss Mega-Tek
This shampoo has been specifically formulated to help promote hair growth and restore hair on your horse. You can apply it to thin and balding spots to help them fill in or use it on damaged areas.
Some of the ingredients in this shampoo come from natural palm oil. Palm oil is great for both the hair and skin on the horse and this works to promote horse health.
Cost and Value
You will see this horse shampoo sold at a price that is much higher than the average price for horse shampoo. The higher price is due to it being a premium shampoo product.
- It will repair damaged fur by reducing split ends, breakage, and damaged fur.
- The shampoo can be used to detangle hair that is severely matted.
- It will remove toxins from the fur of the horse such as residue from chemicals.
- You can use this shampoo to stimulate hair growth in balding areas.
- It has ingredients that are derived from healthy palm oil to promote health.
- Some reviewers have not experienced hair restoration from using this product.
- Some users are not too thrilled about the shampoo smell either.
10. Aloe Advantage
The shampoo contains aloe, a plant that is known for its ability to restore and moisturize the skin and the hair which help to promote a healthy look in your horse.
Many horse shampoos have harmful detergents that will strip away the natural barrier of oils in the skin and fur. This shampoo does not contain such detergents or dyes to help promote skin and fur health.
Cost and Value
Aloe Advantage is sold at an average price for horse shampoos which makes it into an excellent value since you get a high-quality shampoo without having to pay a premium price for it.
- It contains aloe to help restore damaged hair and skin on your horse.
- The shampoo has a botanical scent formula that is fresh and relaxing.
- It does not have soap or alcohol that will dry out the skin.
- There are no dyes or detergents that will harm the coat.
- It is concentrated and will last for a long time when used properly.
- Some reviewers have reported that the shampoo does not smell good.
- The shampoo does not lather as well as many users expected.
Regular bath times are important for the health of your horse which is why you need to pick out a high-quality horse shampoo. You should always be on the lookout for shampoos that will help to promote the overall health of your horse when they are used regularly. This can mean that you will want to look for a shampoo that will promote skin and fur health and kill microbes such as bacteria and fungus as well. When you keep your horse clean, the fur and the skin will look and feel great which will help to promote the health and mood of your horse.
As you may have noticed, there are a large variety of horse shampoos that you can use. Some shampoos are general purpose shampoos while other shampoos are targeted towards a specific outcome. It always pays to do your research in order to help find the horse shampoo that will work the best for your needs. The better job you do at understanding your horse’s needs, the better job you can do at matching a shampoo for your horse. The best shampoos will always help your horse look its absolute best which can mean the world to your horse.
Generally speaking, horses have sensitive skin which is why you will need to make sure that the shampoo that you pick out is going to work with your horse’s skin. When you are trying to pick out a brand of horse shampoo that will work for your horse, you should start by purchasing a small bottle of shampoo and trying it in a small area on your horse. If you horse breaks out in hives or develops other skin conditions in the treated area, then you should not use the shampoo. On the other hand, if your horse has no reaction to the shampoo after waiting a day, then you should be fine to use the shampoo.
You should try and look for shampoos that will help to protect and moisturize the horse’s skin. Some products contain aloe which can be a great choice since aloe will naturally moisturize and protect the skin on your horse. You can also look for shampoos that do not lather much as these will be easier to rinse off when you are done washing the horse and tend to be easier on the skin. If your horse has particularly dry skin, then you can also look for a shampoo that also includes conditioner as this will help to moisturize the skin during bath time.
When it comes to picking out a horse shampoo, it pays to know your horse and what it needs. If your horse has dry and flaky skin, then you should lean towards shampoos that contain more moisturizing agents in them as this will help to relieve skin conditions. Other horses only require a general purpose shampoo and can start to feel oily if they are too moisturized. The more you know your horse, the better job you can do at picking out shampoo for it.
Criteria Used in Choosing the Best Horse Shampoos
Some horse shampoos are formulated to enhance the color of your horse’s fur. They will either do this by adding a dye to the shampoo or by adding agents that the hair will absorb so that it reflects more light and looks shiny. You may also see whitening shampoos that will help to enhance the white areas of the horse as well. However, not all horse shampoos contain such properties so you will need to decide if you need coat enhancing features first when you are picking out a horse shampoo.
Most people will not need to enhance the look of their horse. For example, if you are someone who is a casual rider and just likes to own horses, then it is unlikely that you will need to own such horse shampoos. Enhancing shampoos tend to be used in situations where you intend to show off your horse to other people. For example, you may enter your horse into a competition at your county fair where your horse will be specifically judged on how it looks. In this case, you will want to look for a shampoo that will help make your horse more attractive.
If you are looking for enhancing shampoos that contain dyes, then it is important that you pick out the proper color for your horse. In other words, you do not want to use brown dye on a white horse since that would take away from your horse’s appearance. You will also want to apply dyed shampoos only to the areas that you are trying to enhance as well. However, if your horse is a single color or you are not working with dye shampoos, then you should be free to apply the shampoo all over your horse.
Horses that have white markings or horses that have a light fur color may sometimes develop stains in their coat that will need to be removed. If you need to remove a stain, then you will need to look for horse shampoo that has been formulated to remove stains out of a coat of a horse. The more severe the stain, the more you will need to work to remove the stain so it is best for you to get to the stain as soon as you discover it rather than waiting for it to get worse.
If you have a horse that is prone to getting stained, then it is a good idea to look for a horse shampoo that is specifically formulated to remove stains from the coat of the horse. You will find shampoos that are the traditional rinse type of shampoos where you lather up the horse and then rinse off of the shampoo. For tougher stains, you may want to look for a no-rinse horse shampoo that will allow you to rub out the stain with a towel rather than using water.
Since removing stains naturally requires additional cleansing agents, you will need to make sure that any stain removable shampoo contains moisturizing agents that will help keep the horse’s skin from getting dry after applying the shampoo. Some horse shampoos will even help to prevent your horse from developing stains in the first place, which can be a great way to make life easier on yourself and your horse since you will have fewer stains to deal with in the first place. It also worthwhile to know that no-rinse stain remover shampoo is great to have in the winter time when it is too cold for bath water.
At some point in time, your horse will get sick and will require medication. Many horse shampoos are used to treat conditions such as ringworm, hot spots, or other kinds of bacteria and fungal infections. Like it or not, your horse’s coat is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and fungus which can lead to your horse developing an infection or a skin condition. Due to these concerns, many horse shampoos are antibacterial and antimicrobial which will help to keep your horse from developing a condition in the first place. There are also plenty of medicated shampoos that can be purchased without a prescription and will treat horse conditions as well.
If your horse does not have a specific health condition, then you should look for shampoos that are antibacterial and antimicrobial. This will go a long way in preventing your horse from getting sick in the first place which will make life easier for yourself as well as your horse. When you are washing your horse, you should do a good job of following the directions on the shampoo bottle properly so that all of the bacteria and germs are killed in the bath. If you fail to follow the directions, then the bacteria and germs may become resistant to your shampoo and it will no longer be effective for this purpose.
There are times where you need to treat a specific health condition such as ringworm. In this case, you will need to look at the bottle of the shampoo and make sure that it is formulated to treat the condition that you are looking to cure. If you are not sure, then you should consult with a veterinarian to make sure that you have the correct product for your needs.
Some horses have hair issues in their coat that can be addressed with the proper horse shampoo. If your horse has matted, tangled, or damaged hair, then your horse may benefit from one of the many different products that are available to promote a healthy mane, tail, and body. Some horses may have thin or bald spots in some areas as well that can help when you use a horse shampoo that promotes the growth of hair. If any of this applies to your horse, then you should consider looking for a horse shampoo that will help with your horse’s hair.
Sometimes horses can get tangled and matted fur and you will need to brush out the fur. However, brushing too hard can pull the hair which can cause the horse to feel discomfort and further damage the hair. If you are trying to brush out tangles or mats in your horse’s hair, then you should consider treating it with a horse shampoo first. A horse shampoo can help to strengthen the hair and help it detangle which will make your job easier when you go to brush the hair.
You may also want to look for horse shampoo that can help to restore split ends, broken hair, or damaged hair as well. Many of these shampoos contain proteins that will get absorbed by the horse hair and will help to restore the horse hair. This will help improve how your horse looks and will make it appear healthier. You can also get horse shampoo that promotes the growth of hair when applied to the horse which can be used to make a thin area look thicker or help to get the hair to grow in a bald spot as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can people use horse shampoo?
A: Many people do use horse shampoo to wash their hair. There is a wide belief that horse shampoo will promote hair growth which can help your hair look thicker and healthier. The truth is that horse hair is not the same as human hair and each kind of hair has different needs. Using horse hair will not harm you, but you should not expect that it will do wonders for your hair either and you are better off using human shampoo.
Q: Should I get scented horse shampoo?
A: This is a matter of preference. The horse is unlikely to care out the scent of the shampoo unless it has a strong dislike for it so there is little advantage to using a scented shampoo on the horse as far as the horse is concerned. However, you may like how the shampoo smells and if you are a horse groomer, then the owner may care about the scent of the horse also which may be a reason to own scented shampoo.
Q: What is the difference between rinse and no-rinse shampoo?
A: A rinse shampoo is a horse shampoo that you wash off of the horse’s body with water after you have finished washing the horse. It is important that you rinse all of the shampoo off of the horse so that the skin is not irritated by any residue. The no-rinse shampoo is the shampoo that is not supposed to be washed off when you have finished using it. Instead, you should wipe it off with a towel when you are finished.
Q: How often should my horse get a bath?
A: You should keep in mind that horses have sensitive skin and should not be over bathed. Instead, you should only bathe your horse as needed. If your horse has stains in the hair that aren’t coming out with no-rinse shampoo then you may want to consider giving your horse a bath. If your horse is using medicated shampoo to treat a condition such as ringworm, then you need to bath according to the instructions.
Q: What is horse conditioner?
A: Horse shampoo will wash away oils that naturally occur in the horse’s hair which can leave the hair and the skin feeling dry and itchy. A conditioner is often used after shampoo to replace the oils in the fur and the skin so that your horse doesn’t develop dry skin or damaged hair. Conditioners are made from different ingredients, but all of them serve the same purpose of remoisturizing your horse after you have given it a bath.