When owning a puppy it is the owner’s responsibility to train the puppy in order to avoid inappropriate barking, running off and jumping on unsuspecting people. There are means of doing this safely and without hurting the animal like with training collars. Training collars, sometimes referred to as shock collars, offer a means for training dogs without excessive force or raising the owner’s voice. Training collars allow those who want to train their animal the ability to do so safely. They attach securely to the animals neck and use shocking or tones in order to correct the animal’s behavior specifically when an animal runs off or when they bark. They can both be used with a remote as well as when the pet owner is not there. These collars are also typically waterproof in order to work even in rainy weather. Some collars also offer GPS services in order to detect where the animal is at all times. This helps those who have animals who liked to wander and for those who want to know where their dog is at all times.
This article focuses specifically on the Garmin T5. Garmin is a popular company associated with GPS services. They make a wide range of GPS devices including watches, handheld units, and training accessories. They are arguably one of the largest retailers in GPS services and are well known for their quality customer service team. We looked at consumer reviews in order to determine what those who bought this product thought of it, both positive and negative. We also looked at the basic and advanced features of the device in order to determine it’s cost and value. Finally, we looked at the construction of the product in order to determine its quality and longevity. This is our comprehensive review of the Garmin T5. We hope that this article helps you in your next dog training device purchase.
- Range and responsiveness is positive even in thicker brush
- Battery life is great
- This device is easy to use
- This device connects well and stays connected
- The GPS unit doesn't work if outside of the US
- My Wirehair goes through all kinds of terrain and swimming holes and this thing is holding up great. It is pretty affordable for what it is and the GPS locator is great.
- I love using it when hunting. Make sure to update it when you get it or you’ll have issues. I like that it is compatible with the Astro 320.
- I have never had an issue with this thing, works great. My dogs ran over 800 yards and were still being mapped. Great product, i highly recommend this, especially for hunting.
- I am so impressed with this thing. It is the best dog tracker I have ever used. Super easy to manage and has a great range. Way better than its predecessors and much more durable.
- Second collar to use with my 320 it is a great collar and I never feel stressed about who let the dog out. I know where they are. It is super affordable as well.
- This thing saved my dogs life. She got stuck in a drain ditch de to her bad back legs and man, I was able to find and save my baby. The mud and cold water did not penetrate or affect the connectivity of the color. It is fantastic, I highly recommend it. Really, if you have an old active dog to keep track of, buy it.
- It popped off the dog and I was able to track where it was. This thing does exactly what it says and efficiently.
- I am really impressed with how well these work. They can go through anything and seem to not be bothered by it. I mean drug through water and mud and still ticking.
- The battery last good on this and I am able to track through all sorts of terrain with no issue. I swear by these things and the hounds are never lost.
- I never have to worry about my bird dogs with this thing. I can let them do there job and follow without an issue. Makes my hunting more efficient and that is always a good thing.
- I live on a hundred acres and it helps me keep up with my retriever. I hate keeping him in a fence. It has not let me down. This thing works phenomenal. It works better than the hand held device for sure. It lasts a couple days in a full charge.
- You cannot use this outside the US. I was so disappointed as I travel with my dog. I also live outside of the US. They shipped it but didn't tell me that they cut radio signal. Oh well. Garbage.
This product also offers the ability to change the straps on it in case the animal is a little rough with the collar and breaks it off. The straps are easily replaceable and come in numerous colors for those who prefer a specific aesthetic to their device. This also helps when using more than one collar or using on different sexes of animals. The collar itself is also adjustable in order to fit on different sizes of dogs and is adjustable as well. This collar offers a LED light for visibility in darker areas, water resistance, GPS abilities, and an adjustable and replaceable collar. All of these features should help those looking for a reliable training device.
The range of this device is up to 9 miles. Those who purchased this device did not have complaints about the range of this collar. This is a common complaint with this type of product- that the range isn't quite what the website quoted. Luckily Garmin is a very reliable company that is known for their GPS and tracking services. It seems that this device stands up to the 9-mile range and actually stays connected and continues to work even at longer distances. This is positive as the device does act as a tracker as well and offers GPS services in order to track the animal being trained. Overall, this device does seem to offer decent connectivity and does not drop even at longer distances, as long as it is kept within the 9-mile range.
The battery is also completely replaceable by the consumer. It does not need to be brought into a store or sent back to Garmin in order to replace the battery if it eventually stops working to its full capacity. Rather, the consumer can replace it themselves without trouble. The battery is also sealed in order to offer water resistance for those little pups that love puddles and bodies of water.
EASE OF USE
-20 to 40 hours of continuous battery life
-9 mile range
-10 meters (1 ATM) water rating
-Minimum 9.5-inch neck size circumference
-LED beacon lights
-Rescue model enforced
-Replaceable collar straps